REGULAR BLOKE TRYING TO LIVE IN AN IRREGULAR WORLD

04 April 2008

I HAVE SEEN THE PROMISED LAND

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."


[Postscript - The next day, April 4, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was struck down by an assassin's bullet. He did not get to the promised land with his brothers and sisters. But he did do God's will. And now, he is free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty he is free at last.]

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was just 39 years old and already a Nobel Peace Prize recipient when he was struck down. His presence was the high water mark of liberalism in this country, which gave us civil rights and voting rights, the Job Corps, Medicare and Medicaid among other blessings of society. His death opened the door to the Nixonian "law and order" era of fascism which crested with the reign of Bush and Cheney.

An exhaustive TIME magazine article on Dr. King's death and that fateful Summer of 1968.

No comments: