REGULAR BLOKE TRYING TO LIVE IN AN IRREGULAR WORLD

18 August 2007

Car wreck

Well, I wasn't hurt and things have worked out.

I have been driving back and forth between Yorktown and Washington at least once a week for the past year. I guess the law of averages finally caught up with me.

The first week of August I was coming over the bridge three miles from home at 1:30am when fatigue, anticipation, no cruise control combined to have me stopped and ticketed for 63mph in a 45 zone. (Last and only ticket I ever had was in 1991 back in Maine.) So, now I am hypersensitive to my speed, and driving home last Wednesday at 5:30pm when the light turned yellow while still short of the solid painted lane line I clamped on my brakes. I am just NOT in the mood to run any lights while waiting for court.

The only new car I have ever owned was hit from behind as I stopped at an intersection five miles from home after driving a load of my household goods for three and a half hours 158 miles back from D.C. The guy who hit me was driving a black 2007 Chevy four-door flat-bed wrecker with a load on back. With temporary Tennessee tags! I could see nothing but his grill in my rearview suddenly veer left out of sight, where I guess he pinged off a teenage girl driving a Hyundai before deciding to come back into my lane instead. Tore off my left rear corner then skipped around to the front and tore off that corner, the headlight and bumper. Still enough force to drive me across the intersection with my foot on the brake.

Goddammit, I just filled the gas tank ten minutes before. Estimator at the collision shop pointed out six inches to the right and I would still be in the hospital. Or still on fire.

As it is, some lessons perhaps ...

GEICO is my insurer and when I called in the claim they said I could either ask them to pursue the claim, or I could ask the other insurer (State Farm) to handle it. If I ask GEICO to do it, I write a check for my $1000 deductible while they make repairs then go after State Farm for reimbursement. And have a claim against my coverage on my record.

When I called State Farm they immediately accepted responsibility. They authorized a rental car over the phone for the duration of "reasonable repairs." They told me I could use any auto body shop I wanted to. When I told them where the Troopers had it towed (convenient) the claims guy said he could not get an adjuster out there until next week. And I could not take anything out of the car until then. BUT ... if I went to a collision shop on State Farm's list, I could take everything out as soon as they got it because there was no need to send a separate adjuster.

I asked for their list and picked one. Get this: State Farm paid for a wrecker to go get my car and paid off the original wrecker that towed me from the scene of the accident. So I went and emptied it yesterday, getting all my things out of the trunk and interior back to Wolf Creek. Not only that, but after only having my car overnight One Stop Collision Shop on Geo. Washington Hwy US 17 in Grafton, Virginia already had a five page detailed estimate of repairs ready.

$6700.00 Plus or minus. About.

Now, if this was a 2004 Pontiac it would have been totalled, but a Honda Civic retains a lot more value. Damages would have had to come out to more than the KBB value of $11,200.00 to write it off.

In addition, Mike at One Stop showed me in person every single item on the estimate, pointing out what would be replaced, and what would need to be checked for replacement. Including such details as "Window might break in removal" while at the same time explaining that if it did then State Farm would also pay to replace the broken one. Bad news: because my ruined tires weren't new I have to pay $25 allowance for the wear on the ones they replace. (*JOKE*)

You better bet when I picked up the rental car I made sure to pay the $14.95 per day for the optional total loss collision damage insurance - I still have a few more round-trips to D.C. to make - and, I'll be damned, when State Farm called me this morning to check on how things were going and discuss the detailed estimate with me, I mentioned that to the woman and she said, "Oh, we'll take care of that too. I will call them right now and take that off."

Jeebus! Now I know why insurance is so expensive.

I just mowed the lawn, the sun is setting, and there are two bunnies hopping around my front yard in the cooling evening air. I guess things will be alright.

3 comments:

Runs with Horses said...

What a near miss! Good to know you are okay.
I have State Farm Insurance. I backed into another vehicle in a parking garage many months ago. I sent a copy of the accident report to SF and that was all I had to do. No damage to my truck, well, a dimple in the bumper maybe. Crumpled his left fender and buckled the hood. As we were exchanging info, pieces of lens and headlight would occasionally tinkle to the ground causing both of us to chuckle. It was his uncle's car and it was a POS so they probably got a check for "total" and bought something much nicer.
State Farm handled everything. Only phone call I got was from my local agent to be sure that everything was handled okay. Best of all....accident forgiveness. I haven't had an accident since 1976 (also backed into someone...gotta' learn to do a head check!) and my rates actually reduced by a few dollars on my next renewal. I used to think about switching Ins. to save a few bucks, but I think I'll stay right where I'm at 'till I quit driving.
A very frightening experience for you. So happy you are okay. If you have a stiff neck AT ALL, go get it checked out! I had a whiplash that was misdiagnosed as muscle strain. Five years later, I was plaqued by major headaches daily. Films showed a reverse curvature of my C-spine. Today it is mostly straight with little or no curvature. Stiff neck, muscle spasm and headache are the norm for me now and the arthritic changes scare me the most. Insist on a cervicle film if you haven't already had one. I assume you went to an ER as a precaution?

pcwolf said...

Thanks, Becky.

Really and truly, I don't think my head even bounced off the backrest. I was strapped in and the airbag did not inflate. We were going about 40mpg and slowing when he hit. I think the "crumple zones" Honda builds in really did their job.

Paramedics were first on scene but nothing hurt. I felt fine except it hurt to look at the car. With all the other things wrong with me today, a stiff neck would be an improvement.

50 sux.

-Phil

Jules said...

Wow Phillip, sorry to hear about the accident. I am glad you are okay and everything is working out for you. State Farm Insurance is great I had them for over 20years, but I drop them when I moved to DC because they wanted to charge me a arm and leg for moving into the city.
Anyway take care my friend and if you need anything, I am just a few hours away. Jules "AWHFU"